|White Fungus Papaya Peanuts and Black Eyed Peas Soup || || |
Recipe type: Soup
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 mins
- 10 cups of water
- 1.5 lbs of lean pork, cut into small chunks
- 1 papaya (about 2 lbs, use the kind with red-flesh)
- 1 white fungus, soaked (see note below for soak times)
- 2/3 cup raw peanuts, no shell
- 2/3 cup raw black eyed peas
- 16 red dates, buy seedless ones
- 1 inch of ginger, sliced
- a pinch of salt to taste
- Soak raw peanuts in cold water for 15 – 20 minutes. In the meanwhile, rinse and and cut the soaked snow fungus into small florets.
- Bring 10 cups of water to boil in a large pot while using a separate smaller pot to blanch the pork chunks.
- When the large pot boils, add the ginger, white fungus florets, blanched pork, and soaked peanuts.
- Bring the soup pot to a boil on high heat. Then lower the cooking temperature to a low heat and set the timer for 1 hour of simmering.
- In the meanwhile, peel the papaya. Cut length-wise in half and scoop out the seeds. Cut each half in half again lengthwise. Then slice across 5 or 6 times to get papaya to smaller chunks.
- Prepare the red dates by rinsing and soaking them in cool water for 15 minutes. Soak the black eyed peas separately in cool water also.
- When the soup has cooked for an hour, put all remaining ingredients into the pot. Continue to boil the soup on low heat and set the timer for another 60 minutes. When ready to serve, sprinkle a small pinch of salt to enhance the flavor.
Recipe by Chinese Soup Pot at http://www.chinesesouppot.com/1-soup-recipes/131-white-fungus-papaya-peas-soup