If you love tomatoes and the taste of V8 juice, or Bloody Mary, you will love my delicious Homemade V8 Beet Soup. In addition to tasting great, this soup is super high in fiber, low sodium, and low calories. All the vegetables, especially the beets, have a wonderful detoxifying affect to cleans your internal system. In fact, studies have shown that nutrients in beets enable our body to grab on to toxins, neutralize them, and make them water-soluble for excretion through urine. Hence, this is a great soup to have regularly throughout the year. So bookmark this recipe and come back to it from time to time.
This soup is also excellent if you are trying to lose weight. Drinking a bowl of this soup before your meal will curb the amount of food you eat later. This V8 Beet Soup also keeps you feeling full longer. Hence, you take in less calories without feeling hungry quickly.
- 1 fist-sized red beet root
- 1 medium-sized potato
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- 3 small stalks of celery (about ⅔ cups chopped)
- ⅓ of a small red cabbage (about 6 oz or 2 cups chopped)
- ½ small onion
- ½ small green bell pepper, seeds removed
- 4 tomatoes
- 8 cups of water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ketchup (optional)
- Wash all ingredients. Leaving the skin on, cut the beet root to ⅛" thin slices or strips. Peel and cut the potato to ¼" thin pieces. Cut the celery, cabbage, onion, green bell pepper, and tomatoes to small strips.
- Bring 8 cups of water to boil in a tall skinny pot (a short pasta pot works well), so that all vegetables can be covered in water later. Add all 8 vegetables to the pot. Cover and bring the pot of water back to a boil over high heat.
- When boiling, cook over medium heat for 20 - 25 minutes. Set the timer.
- When ready, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil to the soup and stir. Add the optional ketchup as desired for additional flavor.