Ingredient Name: Dried Stockfish, or Dried Flounder. (Not to be confused with Salted Dried Fish)
Ingredient Name in Chinese: 大地魚 (Dà dì yú)
- Dried flounder is a dehydrated dried form of an ocean-dwelling flatfish.
- In its maturation process, one eye migrates from one side of its head to the other, resulting in two eyes situated on one side of its head as an adult.
- Sold in packages of whole dried fish, or in powdered form.
Dried Stockfish Uses and Health Benefits:
- Commonly used in Chinese cooking and soups.
- Its use gives a soup stock an excellent savory umami flavor.
- See a list of soup recipes using dried stockfish.
- If using the dried whole fish form, bake the fish for 10 minutes on each side at 300° F.
- After baking, break the fish into smaller pieces by hand or with a food processor before cooking.
Where to buy:
- Available in Asian grocery stores. May be labeled on the packaging as “Stockfish” or “Rough Scaled Flounder”.
- Available in dried whole-fish form or powdered form online.
How do you use your Dried Stockfish? Leave a comment below to share your ideas.
|Link to this page from your site or recipe!
Just copy and paste the code below to your page:
|<a href=”http://www.chinesesouppot.com/?p=271″>Learn more about Dried Stockfish here.</a>|