Ingredient Name: Virginia Ham. Also called Country Ham
Ingredient Name in Chinese: 弗吉尼亞 火腿 (Fú jín ní yǎ huǒ tuǐ). A substitute for the Chinese Ham “金華火腿” which is not sold in the U.S.
- Virginia Ham is a variety of salt-cured, smoked, and aged country ham made in the United States.
- It is typically very salty in taste.
- They are usually sold in stores unrefrigerated and not fully cooked as a whole bone-in ham packaged in rough cotton bags.
- They are also sold in ready-to-cook, pre-sliced, vacuum-sealed packages.
Virginia Ham Uses and Health Benefits:
- See a list of soup recipes using Virginia Country Ham.
- If using in a soup recipe, rinse and rub the country ham with your hands quickly to remove some of the salt cure and any mold that may be on the surface.
- If baking, pan-frying, or used in other non-boiling methods of cooking, the ham should be soaked for several hours to remove more of the salt cure.
Where to buy:
- Sold in specialty grocery stores, or online.
How do you use your Virginia Country Ham? Leave a comment below to share your ideas.
|Link to this page from your site or recipe!
Just copy and paste the code below to your page:
|<a href=”http://www.chinesesouppot.com/?p=281″>Learn more about Virginia Ham here.</a>|