Ingredient Name: Ginger Root, or just Ginger.
Ingredient Name in Chinese: 黃薑 (Huáng jiāng)
- Ginger is a yellow root native to the Asian countries.
- Used for thousands of years as a spice and medicine.
- Has a spicy taste and it is frequently used in Asian cuisines as a flavoring herb.
- Ginger can be pickled in vinegar as a snack, steeped in boiling water to make tea, or cooked in sugar to make candied ginger.
Ginger Uses and Health Benefits:
- From multiple studies, ginger has been found to be effective in reducing nausea caused by motion sickness, pregnancy, or chemotherapy.
- A number of studies with positive results showed ginger’s effect on cancerous tumors in the bowel, breast tissue, ovaries, the pancreas, and other tissues. A study at the University of Michigan also revealed that ginger can kill ovarian cancer cells.
- From a Chinese medicine perspective, yellow ginger is Yang, or a warm food.
- See a list of soup recipes using ginger roots.
- Peel the skin before using.
- Store un-used portions in cool dry areas.
Where to Buy:
- Fresh ginger roots are available at Asian grocery supermarkets, and at many mainstream supermarkets.
- Fresh ginger can also be purchased online, along with other forms like dried ginger powder, ginger tea bags, and candied Mango Ginger Chews which are great on trips to help with nausea.
How do you use your Ginger Roots? Leave a comment below to share your ideas.
|Link to this page from your site or recipe!
Just copy and paste the code below to your page:
|<a href=”http://www.chinesesouppot.com/?p=308″>Learn more about Ginger Root here.</a>|